Sunday, March 6, 2022

Where is that passage?

In January 2021, I started reading the first two chapters of Matthew. My goal was to read two chapters, every day, for a month and then move on to the next two chapters. I am very familiar with the early chapters of Genesis and can reference where events can be found, but not as well in the New Testament. I hoped that constant review of the same passage would help retain where to find different items in the gospels.

I kept the practice going all through 2021 and at the end of February, I finished reading all 28 chapters of Matthew. On March 1, I moved on to read Mark 1-2 and plan to continue going through the New Testament with constant review. However, I can't say I have achieved the results I hoped to get.

Sometime around March of 2021, I watched a movie that only read the text from Matthew while actors somewhat portrayed the events. At that point, I knew when they got to a new chapter, what to expect next, and recognized when the movie progressed beyond where I had read so far in the year. If I went back to watch it again, I know I wouldn't do well in clearly knowing where they were at in the book.

Like everything new, we get excited to start a project and look forward to learning. In 14 months, I have only missed reviewing a few days. However, my mind wonders off into whatever else I have going on and I remember things I forgot to do. By the time my head catches up to my eyes, I have already gone several lines, or paragraphs, without comprehending the text.

After completing one book, I can point out key areas such as the sermon on the mount in Matthew 5-7 and the trial and crucifixion of Jesus in Matthew 26-27. However, that's not much better than what I already knee before starting. If I was asked where a certain parable or miracle was recorded, I would still need to look up the reference.

Comprehension or not, I think it's a good practice to continue. If God let's me live long enough to go completely through the New Testament at two chapters a month, I'll see what I can remember for my next time through. Until next time, I'm off to read through the opening of Mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment