Sunday, February 27, 2022

Week of rest again

My family and I have made it through another week of long nights. On Friday, we rejoiced at the news that my main night nurse was released to return to work. Friday and Saturday night were covered by my other night caregiver which means that part of my schedule should now be filled.

It was nice to get to sleep all night Friday. Saturday morning, my caregiver reported to dad that she didn't hear a word from me all night. This stretch has again let my family grow in appreciation for the blessings God has given us in nurses.

Tuesday was 2-22-22, and I had planned on getting some pictures of my clocks showings all two's for the time and date. I forgot, but did a substitute of taking a screen shot while watching trains in Flagstaff, AZ through Virtual Railfan. At 11:22 PM Central time, I took the picture while a train was passing. To note the event (yes, I'm easily entertained and don't get out much), I posted the prize photo on Facebook and said why I was awake.

My purpose was to show the unique time stamp, but my friends picked up on the lack of nursing and commented on the situation. One friend, who is a fellow vent-dependent quad nearing 39 years post injury, said he hasn't had night care for seven years. His aunts help him with night needs instead and he's able to stay living independently. Two weeks was very hard on us, I can't imagine going for years. However, I'm thankful for the support system he has in place.

Finding caregivers has been hard for years, but is now extremely difficult with government mandates and fewer people in healthcare. Another friend said that a hospital close to them has started hiring people with no formal medical training and teaching them what to do. I can see this becoming more common, especially for those in the quad life trying to stay home. Paying these caregivers is another issue, but it's at least a good start to find someone.

It looks like the start of March will be a week more toward normal. As my busy time of year resumes, I trust in God's timing to continue to provide all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment