Sunday, June 19, 2022

Meeting with Ham

Throughout history, God has selected certain people to be used for extraordinary purposes. In our current place in time, several men have been allowed to run organizations that point the world back to the truth of the Bible and to look to it for our sure foundation.

One of these individuals is Ken Ham, the founder and CEO of Answers in Genesis (AIG). Since its start, AIG has produced numerous books and videos about biblical creation and built the Creation Museum and Ark Encounter in Kentucky. I started following AIG around 2008 and God used this teaching to get me to seriously follow His Word and learn about the world we see today.

Therefore, Mr. Ham is one of the handful of people I have wanted to meet in person. I have been to the Creation Museum and Ark, but the organization's founder was not around at the same time. I didn't think I would ever get to see the man that God used to help me, but that changed on Friday night.

I received an email over a month ago that invited supporters of AIG to have dessert with Ken Ham at an event in Des Moines. It didn't take long for me to ask my caregiver Sara if she could take me and if we could rearrange her normal schedule so I could go. She also liked the opportunity to meet Mr. Ham and gladly agreed.

It felt odd driving to the city at a time of day I am usually at home finishing my day's tasks. Sara carefully drove through city traffic to find fast food for supper before going to our evening event. The church wasn't hard to find, but handicapped parking was already taken and we could see a line waiting to enter.

Eventually, we got parked, checked in, and found a pew in the medium-sized, but full, sanctuary. AIG's president gave a brief introduction before Ken Ham came up to speak about the ministry's past, present, and goals for the future. I have seen several presentations, and read many books, by Mr. Ham, but it was fun to see him in person. I could feel the childish grin on my face as I listened, but wasn't successful in hiding it.

When all the presentations were complete, Sara and I joined the line that quickly formed to meet with Mr. Ham. It moved slowly as some people took extra time to converse with the founder. When our turn came, the person directing people wasn't allowing much time to stop. I wanted to say how much AIG has done for me in bringing me closer to God, that I preach, teach, and write abut creation, and my dream job is to be a speaker with AIG.

Sara gave her phone to the security person who quickly took our picture. We maybe had 90 seconds with the man I have wanted to meet for many years. I tried to say what I had practiced in my head, but don't think he heard most of it as we were ushered away for the next group to come.

By this time, it was getting late and we had to drive home. I talked with a few friends that were also in attendance and several people that recognized me from volunteering at the AIG booth at the Iowa State Fair. The two of us returned home about 30 minutes after my night nurse arrived and was ready for bed.

Living the quad life, God has enabled me to serve Him in many ways. I'm thankful I was allowed to meet one person that has been used by God to help me, even if briefly. I doubt it will happen again, but I continue to pray that I will be able to help others learn maybe help them as I have been.

1 comment: