Sunday, June 26, 2022

Galesburg Railroad Days

Yesterday was the annual Railroad Days in Galesburg, IL. It is held the fourth weekend in June and is a great gathering of railroad enthusiasts. Dad and I enjoyed visiting last year and we decided to go again this year.

Since our previous visit, dad has done a fair amount of work on our train layout. When I have extra funds, I have been ordering train cars as well as some scenery items. Like with every hobby, you can spend as much time and expense as you want and can still do more. However, a mixed freight train I have been putting together is now the correct length for the size of our track. While we have supplies for scenery, it has yet to be used anywhere.

Therefore, I didn't have any certain items I was looking for and knew I couldn't get much for cars or engines. Dad and I have a constant debate between what era to model. He likes older era equipment from the 50's and I like modern items that are on the rails today. With our two interests combined, we have far more items to put on the tracks than space allows. I suppose we could fill every inch of rail we have, but then trains wouldn't have room to move.

Dad and roamed through model train vendors for about three hours. I did end up getting a few items, but restrained myself from getting much. We then got a very late lunch and ate while sitting by railroad tracks for about an hour before returning home. The two of us left home at 8:06 Saturday morning and returned around 7:45 that evening.

It was a lot of driving for only four hours of doing what we had planned. It was still fun though and likely the only major outing I'll have this year. Dad has already discussed changes to make next year go better, but I was thankful I didn't suffer any major setbacks like last year. Now, I have a week to prepare for preaching twice next Sunday along with a busy work week. It is an interesting time of year for the quad life.

No comments:

Post a Comment