Sunday, February 5, 2023

Editing Again, but Slowly

According to my computer, I started working on writing my autobiography in November 2018. It feels like I started before that, but it maybe just seems longer than I think. At any case, I have been working on writing and editing it for a few years. Early last month, after shopping for self-publishers, I sent my work to a publisher. This week, she gave it back with the first round of edits.

When I started college, I was told I would need to learn to use voice dictation software because my papers would be too long for me to write by stick. I think I attempted using the software for about two weeks before admitting defeat and using my trusty mouth stick. Even though it spanned a few years, I was thankful to be able to write all 300+ pages of this book with my regular tools. Unfortunately, I can see already that editing will be a harder process.

I can use a keyboard for several hours in various positions without having much of an issue. However, operating the mouse takes more pressure and precise movement. These actions make my mouth sore quickly and I avoid as much mouse work as I can. I have learned several keyboard shortcuts for my regular tasks, but it's not always an option. Book editing is one of those times keyboard alone doesn't work.

The copy I received used something called track changes. Word documents any changes someone made to a document and then another person can accept, reject, the adjustments or make more. Unfortunately, every change requires at least one mouse click and often more. Since receiving the edited version three days ago, I have covered 28 of 311 pages and my mouth was telling me to slow down after the first day.

Living the quad life, I have many items I need assistance with. The little I can do independently, like run a computer, I make sure to do on my own. Now I'm debating to take a very slow process to do everything on my own, delaying publication, or ask for some help. I will likely take another week or two decide on some type of hybrid compromise. It's my own fault for not asking for an alternative editing option, but I have no idea what that would be.

I'm used to doing tasks slower than my peers, so this won't be any different. I do look forward to completing this project though, however long it may take.

No comments:

Post a Comment