Sunday, February 26, 2023

The Marker

I still read physical books, the "outdated" type that require shelves and manually turning pages. I prefer them over digital and know they'll be around even if a hard drive crashes. For most people, reading actual books requires a marker so they can know where to start reading again.

Friday, I finished a book that covered about the first 600 years of the Christian church. It was around 400 pages long and I used a small sticky note to mark my progress over the past several weeks. It often ends up that the note's sticky section stops sticking when I complete a book. It's easy to recycle and get a new one for my next literary adventure. However, I have one marker that has outlasted any other and continues to adapt.

In high school, I started reading a chapter of the Bible most nights. Over 20 years later, it has progressed to multiple chapters every night with (currently) reading commentary as well. I have changed Bibles once in this time, but I have continued using one simple marker to note my progress.

I'm not sure exactly when I got it, but it's just a scrap piece of paper torn off of a larger notepad forgotten long ago. As I go through God's Word, the folds of pages adjust along with the crack between each side. My marker folds and adapts as I move along, conforming itself at needed. When I complete another time through Scripture, a crease has developed that fits well into Revelation. Going back to Genesis requires some reforming, but it adapts within a day or two.

Through the years, as I complete each night's study, I carefully place my marker into its new position. Sometimes, as sleep battles to close my eyes, I don't get it quite stuffed in it's location. Gravity takes over and it drops to my table, or bed. In an attempt to do everything as independent as possible, I carefully work to get it back toward it's roost, with the smooth side facing in, and firmly push it in. My caregiver sits about ten feet away and could gladly help, but I only ask as a last resort.

I've tried other markers, but they are often too stiff and plastic to adapt and allow me to get it in place. Therefore, my trusty marker keeps diligently working every night, noting my progress and where to start again. It's a small part of the quad life, but one that has become important and a practice in independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment