Sunday, February 19, 2023

38 Years

John 5:5-6, 14: Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, “Do you want to be made well?” … Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, “See, you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you.” 

In John 5, we read an encounter between Jesus and a man who was lying by the pool of Bethesda. He had lived with an infirmity of some type for 38 years. When Jesus asked if he wanted to be healed, the man said he couldn’t get in the water fast enough to be cured.

Jesus simply told him to get up, pick up his bed, and walk. In an instant, without practicing faith, asking Jesus for help, or any action on the invalid’s part, he was healed. Later on, after the Jews reprimanded the man for carrying hit mat, Jesus found him again. This time, Jesus pointed out that being able-bodied again was not a big concern, but something worse would happen if he continued in sin.

Tomorrow, February 20, marks 38 years since becoming a quadriplegic. In these decades, I have experienced many trials and times that the future looked bleak. However, living in the present day, I have had many blessings of modern medical technology, wheelchairs, breathing aides, hospital beds with air mattresses, medicine for various needs, and a multitude of caregivers.

At the time of this account in Scripture, I can only guess what living conditions this man experienced. A few accounts of other invalids talk about being carried around on mats, without wheelchairs to get around. Daily tasks such as bathing, changing clothes, and more may have been luxuries that people with disabilities may not have experienced very often. In other words, living conditions would have likely been miserable, but they could be worse.

Many passages in the Bible warn about the conditions of hell; weeping, gnashing of teeth, worm that never dies, and eternal torment that never decreases. Looking at this, we can see that even the worst living conditions on earth are nothing compared to what will come for those who die in their sins.

Some people may think that living with an infirmity gets a person a free pass into heaven, maybe like Lazarus who begged at the rich man’s gate. However, that is not the case as every person will bow to God and give an account of their life. Examining my own life, I know very well that I have broken all of God’s commands and deserve eternal punishment. However, I war against temptation and put my faith and trust in Jesus alone for forgiveness.

With every passing year, and day, I agree with Paul when he said, “For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” (Philippians 1:21) I look forward to leaving this life of temptation, the difficulties of living with a significant disability, and seeing the increasing burden to my family. However, I can still serve Christ and His kingdom with the gifts He has given me and I will try to do so as long as I am given the ability. 

I do not know what another day, or year, will ring forth, but I know it will be according to God’s plan. I pray that I remember to rely on Him whatever may come and tell others all that Christ has done.

1 comment: