Sunday, October 6, 2024

Shaking Body, Second ER Trip

As we were leaving the hospital at 12:00, my head spasms increased to include my upper body. It was now a rhythmic tumult where my head would leave my head rest, go forward, then return. I could try to counteract the undulation, but the movement made driving a challenge.

Mom noticed the spasms as well after I pointed out I wasn't doing it on purpose. It was a concern, but we didn't think it was too serious. Over the next few hours, the spasms continued to get worse. Within my four-second breath cycle, I would be pushed off the bed, fall back, and repeat. After multiple nights without sleep, I was also exhausted and wanted to sleep. Mom called a nurse friend who suggested muscle relaxers and it could be due to missing meds for two days.

While dad went to get Benedryl, I took two of mom's Tylenol arthritis as the directions indicated. Thirty minutes later, I also took two of the Benedryl as directions recommended. Swallowing was a major challenge as I had to time my breaths and head movement just right. Concentrating, I managed to get most of the medication, but also choked on some of them. Attempting to lay on my side to rest, no position worked. My upper body continued to thrash back and forth with no relief and increasing strength. I felt bad asking my parents to move me every few minutes, but I didn't know what else to do.

By 5:30, the spasms had increased to the point I barely had any control of my head. With my upper body nearly out of control, it seemed like my diaphragm would be next. I told dad I likely didn't have long to be breathing and needed to get back to the ER. In the blink of an eye, he had me dressed and ready for my chair. To get up, dad unhooked my diaphragm pacemaker as usual. This time, the wire on my side came out of place and it took longer to reconnect my breathing aid than normal. As I sat unable to do my self-breathing, my head started to buzz, but I didn't feel any panic. I had been praying for relief from the spasms and felt like my time with earthly concerns would soon be over. A welcome gulp of air resumed our frenzied trip for help.

Somehow, I managed to drive out to the garage and get loaded in the van. Dad and I left for the ER while mom planned to follow us soon. For the six-block commute to the hospital, I felt the outside air breeze through the van's window and a great calm came over me. We arrived at the ER faster than any ambulance would have transported me and I drove inside after dad got me unloaded. Sitting near the check-in desk giving my information, I suddenly noticed the spasms were completely gone and I once again had normal body control.

Over the next three hours, nearly every test possible was conducted. I was x-rayed for pneumonia, had bladder tests, blood tests, and I recalled what had just been a scary few hours. Everything came back fine, and the only conclusion was a possible overdose of medication. Laying in the ER, I felt better than I had in days and was ready to go home.

Driving back, I noticed water on the van's windshield and concluded it had rained while we were inside. In the garage, the same liquid seemed to float off the glass in some sort of evaporation. Laying in my own bed again, I looked at the beam over me for my lift and noticed it also looked wet and had hundreds of bugs crawling around it. I knew this couldn't be the case, but it was still what I saw. My night nurse noted that one of my meds, Tizanidine, had a side effect of hallucinations, especially when going from completely off it to restarting.

The night included seeing items that didn't exist and low oxygen saturation. I didn't know it would be my only night at home before another scary morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment