Saturday, October 5, 2024

Plans Change, First Trip to ER

In Proverbs, Solomon points out that plans for the next day may be different than expected and not to boast about tomorrow. Since my last entry two weeks ago, I have had two hospital stays and three ER visits. They weren't fun, but will be the topic for three entries. I want the experiences documented for both myself and anyone they may help.

Late in the evening, on Wednesday, September 25, my stomach wasn't feeling good and I hardly had any supper. Thankfully, everything seemed to be working correctly and didn't seem like a bowel obstruction as I've had before. The night started out well, but just kept getting worse with stomach discomfort and increasingly difficulty breathing. Around 4:00 AM, my nurse and I decided to push through the night and get to morning. By 7:00, a final effort to try to clear my gut didn't achieve the desired outcome and we decided it was time for the hospital.

Any time I sat, I couldn't breathe, and therefore thought ambulance would be best. Despite mom's request, the EMS refused to take me to Des Moines and would only transport to our local hospital. My parents and I knew they weren't equipped to handle my needs, but we didn't have a choice. After a quick transport from home, I was in the ER by 7:45 Thursday morning.

I told the ER doctor my experience and knew I needed to get an NG tube. Personal experience apparently meant nothing and the next several hours were spent waiting and getting tests. Around noon, I finally got the tube I had requested, but not as needed. A total of two nurses took five tries to finally get the tube in my stomach instead of popping out my mouth. Drinking water multiple times to get it to go the correct direction only hindered my predicament. Instead of connecting my new hardware to a suction machine, it was used to force a contrasting liquid to my stomach. However, the second push of fluid resulted in a reverse of contents, and I then had to sit another two hours for a CT scan.


Finally, by 3:30, it was decided I had a bowel obstruction and needed my system emptied. It only took nine hours to do as I requested. Diagnosis also meant a new doctor, one who specializes with the gut. Upon on our initial meeting, he was already familiar with my history and was aware this hospital couldn't accommodate me. Des Moines didn't have any beds available, so I had to stay where I was. Dr. H wrote orders to basically undo any rules about family help. Retrieving my air mattress from home, dad and hospital staff soon had a room ready. For the next three nights, and mostly days, my parents had to stay with me and take care of my needs.

Laying awake at night, I counted breaths, watched the clock tick, and didn't sleep. During night shift, the nurse would come to take my vitals three times. I asked for ice packs for my head, but that was about the only interaction I had with hospital staff. After two days with no medications, food, or drink, the NG tube was removed Saturday and I could have a liquid diet.

Sunday morning, while mom was home resting, dad and I watched our church's morning service. At the same time, the doctor came and said I was released and could return home. I was thankful for the news, but asked about something that had started that morning. My head kept having regular spasms and would force me to look up. Dr. H attributed it to stress and being tired and that it would stop soon. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case and it would result in scary circumstances very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment