Monday, October 7, 2024

Crashing Oxygen, Third ER Trip

Monday morning, September 30, my nursing student caregiver, Brenda, started my regular morning routine. She had last worked on Wednesday and I wanted to get her caught up on everything. However, my voice had gone from regular sound and volume the night before to a soft squeak. Even with getting some sleep, I was very tired. I asked Brenda to take my blood pressure, and it was 88/54, only slightly below my normal. Taking it an hour later found it to be 78/45.

After her regular class, Brenda returned around 11:00 and I asked to get undressed and turned on my side to try to rest. As soon as I was turned, I felt very strange and not well. We stopped mom as she was leaving for work, Brenda could no longer find my blood pressure and my oxygen was reading in the low 70's. Mom called 911 and the familiar EMT's from the previous week were soon in my room. Before transferring off my bed, they put me on a large amount of oxygen to help stabilize my numbers. With Brenda at my side, I now took my third trip to the local ER in less than a week.

More tests were started, including a CT scan of my upper body. Despite being cleared from having pneumonia the previous evening, this was now my diagnosis by 3:30 in the afternoon. I would now be admitted again for an unknown time period. The air mattress and supplies dad had removed from the hospital the day before needed to return again.

Later that evening, in my new hospital room, mom and I went over my cares with the nurse, including bathroom needs. My routine was apparently unheard of, and likely not necessary, according to the 30-year veteran nurse. Once again, my parents were responsible for my care and stayed with me over night. At least a tube in my nose for oxygen was easier to manage than an NG tube.

Wednesday morning, I was down to 0.5 liters of oxygen in order to maintain an O2 saturation of at least 90%. Brenda came to stay with me and give my parents a much needed break. The hospital took my oxygen tube off to see if I could well enough to go home. Eating lunch very slowly, Brenda monitored my stats and when I needed to stop and rest. With numbers barely within range, I was released to return home Wednesday afternoon. Getting in my chair, it felt like I could pass out, but only Brenda and I shared this information so I could get home.

These three updates were written on Saturday and Sunday, October 5-6. Since returning home, I have been very tired and have taken several naps. I'm also having other quad life issues that I hope resolve soon. My friend John monitored my email, but I'm still behind on clients' updates and getting out monthly invoices.

Through this experience, it is an apparent reminder to never take time for granted or depend on each day going well. Sitting in a dark hospital room at night, five minutes seem to take an eternity. Looking forward to getting my mouth swabbed so I could get a few drops of water was a major highlight. I also know God has provided everything I need, long before I'm aware.

I pray it will be several years again, if ever, that I have to go to the hospital via ER. Whatever comes, I will trust in God's plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment