Sunday, September 24, 2023

Continued Health Maintenance

I don't keep track, but it seems this year has had frequent health updates than any time before. I'm thankful they are relatively minor items and not major struggles like cancer, but they are persistent.

On Tuesday, I met with my ENT and discussed trach button updates. Unfortunately, it still has a tendency to sink in further than it should and drainage has again resumed. To help combat these issues, my doctor and I decided to try another button option that has a larger top. He placed the order with my regular supply company, and I received a call on Wednesday they can't get it. That means a search will be on to find a supplier, but another option should hopefully be available.

Thursday was an appointment with my dermatologist. He continues to monitor progress on my skin openings and prescribe different treatments. The area had a major setback in June, but it has been recovering since then. Unfortunately, the physician wasn't pleased to see the regression in progress since my last visit. A few changes were made to treatment and I am scheduled to see him again before winter hibernation.

Most of Saturday was again spent at my grandmother's house. Earlier this month, my parents and I visited to help start emptying the house as she moved to an apartment. Yesterday, most of my dad's family came to completely go through everything. Every surface was covered with contents from the kitchen cupboards, various drawers, and all rooms of the house. Piles were made for different destinations and a burn pile was already smoking by the time I arrived.

After nearly five hours, my uncles and aunts had cleaned out the basement, kitchen, and most rooms. Grandpa's toy collection still remained, until my cousin's children arrived. Toys that had been forbidden to play with were now up for grabs and soon multiple large boxes were overflowing with trucks and tractors that delighted great-grandchildren were devouring. A few said they planned to keep some in good shape, but others are not old enough to understand such concepts as collectibles.

Yesterday is likely the last time I'll have a wheel in my grandparent's farm house. With ongoing health concerns, it's a reminder of the progression of time and frailty of life. I will always have fond memories of parties at the farm with little room to move, but I know it will be something I miss for the week to come and whatever time I have in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment