Sunday, October 1, 2023

Bad Retailer

I started my first jobs in high school. One was a temporary data entry position and the other was writing for a local newspaper. Since then, I've had a few different occupations with various employers. However, everything has been in the technology industry. The "product" is data, either recorded for later use or for public information such as a website.

With these forms of work, everything is completed quickly. When data becomes available, it is entered and done. Changes to client's websites are done as quickly as possible and then the job is complete. With the release of my book in early September, I have been thrust into a different job type; one that I'm starting to dislike.

The book is available on Amazon in three different forms, electronic, paperback, and hard cover. If someone purchases an item, Amazon takes care of everything and I get paid royalties at the end of the month (hopefully). For physical books, which I prefer, they get delivered within a few days. However, I can also order author copies as they're called.

For these, I pay the cost of producing the book and shipping to me. This is a less expensive option and I can then sell them directly for less expense than Amazon, and I can sign them. The main problem with this is shipping can take up to two weeks. Therefore, when someone asks for a book, I put them on my list and let them know when it comes. Unfortunately, by the time it arrives, enthusiasm has worn out and people aren't able to come and get them. I am then left with stacks of books sitting around my room. As I write this on Friday evening, I have 27 books on hand to fill 25 orders. That sounds great, but this week added a new complication.

A friend is in charge of the Iowa Ability Fair, which was held yesterday in Des Moines. She arranged for me to have a table to sell books. I was very reluctant to agree, but she was persistent. That means I took 20 books along, which are technically already sold, to sell to anyone interested. The fair went most of the day and I will need to make another order Saturday night.

I'm thankful people want to get my book and are excited to read it. However, my like of clear surfaces on furniture is starting to get to me. I will learn my new skill of retail supply and storage. Living the quad life is interesting sometimes with never knowing what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment