Sunday, December 3, 2023

Season of Stuff

Just over a week ago, the country stopped and gave thanks for all the blessings God has given us. The next day, stores started offering a multitude of discounts to purchase whatever they are selling. It starts with black Friday, small business Saturday, cyber Monday, giving Tuesday, and so on. Now that we are in December, Christmas is coming in just a few weeks and advertising continues for gift ideas of every sort.

Giving and receiving gifts isn't a bad thing, as long as it's done willingly and with financial responsibility. However, a point comes in life when you have enough stuff already and really don't know what to do with more. However, advertising is meant to make people covet and want the latest thing.

For me, I have collected a fair size library of books. One small shelf I have is full and another dedicated book shelf is also at capacity. I have read most of the books in my collection, but I still have about 6-7 that I haven't touched. What do I do? I gave a wish list of books to my parents and I ordered a new John Macarthur Study Bible for myself. A few nights ago, I was discussing with my night nurse on what I could rearrange in order to fit my new purchase when it comes. I would like another book case, but every square inch of my bedroom is already spoken for, unless I don't want to be able to get around in my own room.

The same scenario exists for much of our train layout. Dad likes older equipment and I like everything modern. As it is, many of our model train cars stay in boxes because we are out of track space and our current trains are getting quite lengthy already. It wouldn't make sense to get more cars, but they were also on my wish list and was the source of a recent pre-order I made.

Amongst all the advertising and accumulation of stuff, we need to be careful to remember the ultimate gift that is celebrated. Jesus was born in a livestock shed to a poor family in Bethlehem. However, His gift of salvation for all who repent of sin and trust in Him alone is worth more than anything we could ever receive. The Apostle Paul also said he learned to be content whether he had plenty or very little. It's something I need to remember in the quad life, but also for most of us.

1 comment: