Sunday, October 8, 2023

Surgery 25 Ahead

Living the quad life means I often require various medical treatments. Sometimes, more serious intervention is needed in the form of surgery. On Tuesday morning, I am finally scheduled for a procedure I've needed for a few months.

Looking back at my records, my last surgery was in 2012 to fix my broken femur. This upcoming appointment will be my 25th surgery. The goal is to get two large bladder stones removed that are each over an inch. They have been causing issues for a while and I'll be glad to get them eradicated.

As a veteran to surgical procedures, I'm very well aware of what to expect and how things go. The day prior to the appointment, I'll receive a call to verify the time to arrive. I will need to be at the hospital a full two hours before the surgery so I can primarily sit around and make sure paperwork is correct. However, I have already verified my medication list three times as well as my medical history.

Finally, after boredom has really sunk in, I get rolled back to the operating room. After I arrive, I have to verify my name, birth date, and what is being done. Thinking about it, I'm tempted to say something completely odd like head amputation and see what they say.

With more IVs hooked up, I finally get to take a nap. At first, I get a calm feeling followed by tunnel vision. The next thing I know, I'm in a different location and somewhat feel like I had a long night and don't want to get up. Thankfully, my head is usually clear and I can have fun with the recovery nurse.

As I currently know, I don't need to stay over night and will go home on Tuesday. It sounds like a minor procedure that shouldn't take long. However, after 11 years off, I don't know how my body has changed and how I will react. Whatever happens, I know God is in control and I look forward to being done with another surgery!

No comments:

Post a Comment